Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Creative Space

Last week another of my friends had a baby boy, so in typical fashion I had to rush and make up a present for the baby. You would think that 9 months would be enough warning but no I have to wait until the baby is born to get my act together.
I found this awesome "FABULOUS FIFTIES" Bib pattern at Nicole Mallalieu Design it is a bit different to your standard baby bib and I really like the retro styling.

Pipi's Kitchen Bib - BackTop

Pipi's Kitchen Bib - Front

For the main fabric I used Pipi's Kitchen by Kokka, it is cute enough to be a baby fabric and the colouring could be used for either a boy or a girl. For the lining I used a plain white cotton and made the binding from a plain red cotton. At 25mm the binding is slightly wider than the 18mm one specified on the pattern but I don't think it makes too much of a difference. Once again I used my nifty bias binding foot to apply the binding, the curves were a little tricky but with only a small amount of unpicking I got the binding on fairly evenly. Over all this is a very simple pattern to put together and didn't take too long to sew, the most time consuming part was making up the bias binding.

What have you been creating this week, head over to Kootoyoo to see more creative spaces.

6 comments:

  1. Haha, this pattern seems to be appealing to the alternative heart XD

    http://tinkelstein.blogspot.com/2009/11/rockabilly-bib-polka-dot-latzchen.html

    Love the fabric you used for the bib and red bias tape is always a winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love it!! Thank you again. Actually, I think it's heaps better then current bibs because it covers up so much more of babies clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best dresses baby around! I like it so much I almost wish I had a baby to put it on. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute..
    definitely better than the average bib!!
    you have some gorgeous fabrics in your shop.. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh nos my slackness has been discovered. Hi SarJane, I'm glad you like the bib:) Thank you everyone for saying such nice things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this bib is just so perfect! I love the vibrant colours, great choice of fabric materials. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete