Monday, September 6, 2010

The Great Shoe Experiment

I have been fascinated by the concept of designing my own pair of shoes on zazzle for a while now. This week the American store had a Labor Day Sale with 30% off shoes so I decided to give it a whirl. Even with shipping costs it was cheaper to buy from America than purchasing from the Australia site (also if you have a separate order for each pair of shoes, shipping is cheaper than combined shipping for multiple pairs).

The first pair are Keds High Top Sneaker based on my Gingham Invaded fabric and they will be for Polymonkey.

I then decided that I needed a pair, so I designed two pairs of Keds Low Top Sneaker, also based on my fabric designs.
Spidery Web Green and
Skull Pinstripe pink. After much redesigning and indecision I ended up purchasing the green spider webs (after Polymonkey said "buy those ones").

Now the only concern is that I got the sizing correct, after a bit of research involving checking shoe labels and measuring feet I came to the conclusion that shoe sizing and conversion are all made up by each manufacturer and there is no international standard (sigh). If you see a couple of pairs of shoes turn up for sale on our etsy page in a few weeks, you'll know why.